Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Kids Say the Darndest Things

Social Group always makes Debbie and I exchange smiles.  This is a fun group of boys! Yesterday was a particularly stormy day in East Texas.  Although the storms had not yet broken, one child with ASD came in very excited and disturbed about the weather forecast.  Trying to restore a sense of calm we asked where he lived, he replied, "I live in my house." We pressed him further asking if he lived in town.  He responded, "I live next to my neighbor".

Here a few more funnies from my clients (wish I could remember more of them):

Child looking at picture of a space shuttle:  That's a "Space Shutter"

Therapist:  Tell me more about an elephant.
Child:  They have long trunks and they have "cankles". (therapist cannot stop laughing as bewildered child stares at her).

Sam:  Give the block to me.
Therapist:  Joe might give the  block to you if you ask politely.  What's the magic word?
Joe:  "marshmallows", that's the magic word. (enthusiastically & totally serious)

Therapist to 4 yr. old child:  What do you want to be when you grow up?
4 yr. old child:  Batman!
4 yr. old child to therapist:  What do you want to be when you grow up?
Therapist:  Well, I think maybe I want to be a speech teacher.
Child:  (large grin)

No comments: